This has to be one of my all-time keto favorite foods now. I am not even exaggerating. Not only is it super cool looking because I made it with purple cauliflower, but it reminds me so much of my mom’s mac-and-cheese I grew up with. Listen. I know a lot of keto followers don’t like hearing about non-keto foods, but my mom’s mac and cheese was LITERALLY what made me fat at one point. I had to cut out of my diet pizza and HER mac and cheese, because those were the two things that I just couldn’t stop eating at one serving.
This “mac” and cheese is no different in terms of how addicting it is, but it is also insanely filling, so, as is the case with many keto foods, stopping isn’t really an issue. I did, however, eat myself sick the first day I made it, though, so of course it does carry a certain level of risk… but then again, what self-respecting baked mac and cheese recipe doesn’t?
Baked Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
3 tbs grassfed butter
2 large minced shallots
2 tsp dijon mustard
2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
salt and black pepper to taste
1-1/2 c heavy cream
4 oz cream cheese
1/2 c sour cream
2 c shredded cheddar
2 heads of purple cauliflower, cut into bite sized florets
1 large pot of boiling salt water
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Add cauliflower into the pot of boiling water and cover with a lid. Let that boil for about 5-7 minutes, enough to make them softer but not mushy. Strain, rinse with cold water, and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat, and add shallots. Saute until translucent, then add heavy cream, mustard, garlic, nutmeg, cayenne, and sour cream. Whisk to combine and allow to heat just until bubbles break the surface, stirring frequently.
- While waiting for the sauce base to heat, add the cauliflower florets to a large casserole dish and arrange into one even layer.
- Once the cream mixture is heated, add the cream cheese and 1-1/2 cups of the shredded cheddar. Whisk to melt and combine. Pour over the Cauliflower in the casserole pan, and toss everything to coat. Top with remaining 1/2 c of cheese
- Bake the casserole for about 30 minutes, or until the top is bubbly and golden.